How to Cancel Scheduled Eventbrite Events
No one wants to cancel an event, especially if there is interest and people are registering. Sometimes, however, due to circumstances beyond your control, it becomes necessary. For many events, postponing or rescheduling is the best course of action. For others, including seasonal events, it’s not an option and they need to be canceled altogether.
First, Consider Changes to Large Events
If you do not wish to cancel your event, cannot reschedule, AND your in-person event originally had offered more than 100 tickets, but you have not yet reached 100 registrants, there may be some alternatives. One is to consider adjusting the number of available tickets for the event to less 100. Splitting your event into multiple, smaller sessions or offering it online-only via Zoom may also be options to comply with the guidelines set forth by NC State University in response to COVID-19.
- NOTE: If you wish to adjust the number of available tickets for your event, contact EIT email@example.com with the name and date of your event (you will not have access to do this yourself).
Canceling Your Event
If you do need to cancel an Eventbrite event that has already been scheduled, there are a few actions that need to be taken by the event creator:
- Notify your attendees
- Update the description stating that the event has been canceled
- Refund/Cancel all of the orders
- Cancel the event
Notifying Your Attendees
- Manage Attendees > Emails to Attendees
- Create a New Attendee Email
- Select To All Attendees
- Compose your message and send it; You may want to mention that their orders will be canceled
Update the Event Description
In the Details section, add a comment stating that the event has been canceled. This is important so that if an attendee contacts Eventbrite directly, the Eventbrite support staff can respond appropriately.
Cancel the Orders
- Manage Attendees > Orders
- For each order, select Actions > Cancel this Order; In the case of paid events, you will need to select Refund this Order
Note that in the case of credit card orders, all charges will be reversed. In the case of checks, you will need to work with the CBO or your county financial office to issue a refund.
Cancel the Event
After all of the orders have been canceled, you can go to On Sale > Change Status > Canceled in the upper-right corner.
More EIT Eventbrite Resources
For more information on this or other Eventbrite questions, please see our Eventbrite User Guide.
We’ve also got a running list of “Frequently Asked Questions,” which you can find on our Eventbrite FAQ page. (Note: you’ll need to log in to access the page.)
If you need help, please contact the EIT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.