2-Factor Authentication: Setting Up a New Phone
Find this page at:
If you get a new phone and had either the Google Authenticator app or the DUO Mobile app on your old phone, you will need to follow these instructions in order to get those apps working on the new phone:
- If you did not have these apps on your old phone and were just receiving the 2-factor verification codes as a text, then you do not need to follow these directions.
- If your phone number did not change for your new phone, you do not need to do anything in order for you to receive verification codes as a text. If your phone number did change with your new phone, please contact the help desk for further instructions on setting it up for 2-factor authentication.
- Install Google Authenticator on your new phone.
- On your computer, open your browser and sign into your NCSU Gmail.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, click on your name or your photo, then click Google Account.
- Click Security.
- In “Signing into Google,” click 2-Step Verification.
- Enter your password. You might be asked for your verification code.
- Make sure your backup numbers are still correct.
- Under “Authenticator app” click Edit Change phone.
- Select the type of phone that will have the Authenticator.
- You’ll see a screen with a barcode and a space to enter a verification code. Stay on this screen.
- Open Google Authenticator on your new phone.
- Tap Begin.
- Tap Scan a barcode.
- Scan the barcode on your computer screen with your phone. If you can’t scan it, tap Can’t scan it and follow the instructions on the screen.
- You will now see a verification code on Authenticator on your new phone. Enter the code in your browser and click on Verify and Save.
- On your computer, open your browser and go to: https://docs.shib.ncsu.edu/duoenroll/
- Sign in with your unity id and password.
- Leave the Passcode field empty and just select Enter a Passcode.
- At the bottom of the page you should see an option “Text me new codes” in a blue box:
- The code will be texted to the new phone if it has the same phone number as the old phone.
- Enter the code in the Login field to get to the My Settings and Device page.
- Select Log in.
- Select Device Options next to the old phone information.
- Select Reactivate DUO Mobile.
- You will be prompted with a QR code to scan.
- Open the DUO Mobile app on the new phone and follow prompts to add a new account until you bring up the QR scanner to scan the QR code on your computer.