Skip to main content

NC State Extension

Technology to Do List for Employees Leaving Extension

There are several things you may want to do related to different technological aspects you’ve worked with during your time with extension.

Several weeks before you leave you should start working through the following checklist:

If you are leaving, but not retiring, your email address may be shut down immediately after you leave. After this time you will NO longer be able to send or receive email through your university email address. If you are retiring and would like to keep your NCSU address, see: Technology To-Do List For Retiring Employees

The following step should be discussed with your County Extension Director so that they may know the status of your files:

1) Transfer Your Work-Related Computer Files to Someone Else in the Office

Employees leaving their position within North Carolina State University, typically transfer some of their work-related files to someone else in the office. In the past, it was necessary to have a letter from the departing employee granting permission to move their files. This is no longer the case. According to David Drooz, the campus attorney who specializes in computer-related issues, all files are “open” to the public.

1a) Share Mailing Lists

  • If you have mailing groups in your email client that will need to be shared with your replacement, export it and send it to whoever will be using it or the CED or your administrative support specialist.
  • If you manage MajorDomo mailing lists, give the password to your replacement, CED oradministrative support specialist so they can manage the list. From the List Owner Interface update the access_rules, owners and moderators if applicable.

2) Move/transfer ownership of any Google Calendars and Google Docs to appropriate people


  • Employees should not put anything on the computer that they do not want someone to have access to.
  • If employees do store files containing personal information, then they should create a separate directory named “Private” or something similar for storing those files. That would allow the employee to remove the files easily when they leave. The directory name used must clearly indicate the private nature of the files, so there is no question about whether or not the directory should be transferred to someone else.

If you or an employee in your office is leaving and has further questions about this policy, please contact the CES Helpdesk.

The final step should be completed by your county computer contact once you have reached your departure date:

3) Removing User Accounts

Before removing a user account

Before an employee leaves an NCCES site, they may wish to leave their information so their replacement may be able to access it and/or take the files with them (assuming they are moving to another NCCES site).

Before leaving, (if they are on an NCCE EIT supported Mac) the employee should request via e-mail to for their files to be transferred to another employee’s account (the administrative support specialist, another employee or the CED). Then when a replacement is hired, contact Extension Information Technology to transfer the files to the new employee. Ideally, although rarely, the name of the replacement is known and an account can be created and all the leaving user’s files transferred to the new user’s account.

If the employee is transferring to another NCCES site, they should request for Extension Information Technology to transfer their files to their account at the new NCCES site. (Again, this only applies to users on an NCCE EIT supported Mac)

Once a person is no longer employed by North Carolina State University or the Cooperative Extension Service, then their account must be removed using the following method.

To actually remove a user account from the system:

Complete the Delete User FormNote that only the County Computer Contact should fill out this form.

4) Update Local Foods contact person

If the person leaving is the Local Foods contact person for a county, please refer to Local Food Resources.

To see who is the contact person for your county, go to the Local Foods page for your county website (e.g.

5) System Access Checklist