Technology to Do List for Employees Going on Vacation or Extended Leave
If you will be out of touch for a few days or more, you will want to let people who email you know that you will not be responding in a timely manner. You will also want to set your eXtension Ask an Expert account to “vacation” status so questions cannot be assigned to you.
Email Vacation Message
- From the Gmail web interface go to Mail Settings from the Gear icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Select the “General” tab
- Near the bottom of the page is the “Vacation Responder”
- Enter the date you want the responder to start and the end date (end date is optional)
- Enter the subject and body of the message you want sent as a reply when someone sends you an email.
- You may want to indicate when they can expect a response from you and a contact person or phone number for issues that need immediate attention.
- If you want to limit the responses just to people at NCSU or in your contact list, check the appropriate box(es).
- Save Changes
Ask an Expert
- From your eXtension Ask an Expert Profile page at: https://ask.extension.org/expert/settings/assignment
- Check the “Mark me as away” option
Share Mailing Lists
- If you have mailing groups in your email client that will need to be shared with your replacement, export it and send it to whoever will be using it or the CED or your secretary.
- If you have MajorDomo mailing lists you use, give the password to your replacement, CED or secretary so they can manage the list. From the List Owner Interface update the access_rules, owners and moderators if applicable.
When you return
Don’t forget to undo the above.