Mail Merge With MS Office 2007 and NCCE Contacts
Merging Contacts Database Data for Output with Word 2007 for Windows
The following instructions are for use with the Contacts database and show you how to merge the data into a Word document as labels or envelopes. You can certainly edit these templates or create your own to customize the output from this data.
These instructions are for Word 2007 for Windows and may not be exactly what you will see if you are using a different version of Word.
- Download one of the Templates for Windows from Contacts Database and open that file with MS Word.
- From the Mailings tab select “Select Recipients -> Use Existing List”
- Select the CSV file create from the Contacts application and Open.
- Click on the “Preview results” button to view the merged data.
- Click the “Finish and Merge” button and select “Edit Individual Documents…” if you want to edit the page further or “Print Documents” to print.
Merging Contacts Database Data for Output with Publisher 2007 for Windows
- From a new or existing Publisher document select “Tools -> Mailings and Catalogs -> Mail Merge”
- Follow the step-by-step instructions – Click on “Next” at the bottom to move to the next step.
- When prompted, navigate to Open the CSV (Comma Separated Values) file saved from the Contacts app. You will be asked for the text separator – it is a Comma and the first row of data contains column headers.
- You will be presented with a window to select (or deselect) which records to merge. Deselect any that you don’t want to include in this merge and click “OK”.
- Insert the fields into your document where you want them placed by positioning the cursor where you want the field to go and click on the field’s name in the Mail Merge panel.
- Finally, move to step 3 “Create merged publication” to select how you want to output your list – either to the printer or to a new publisher file.
If you want to rotate a text box in Publisher, select the text box and drag the green dot ‘handle’ above the text box. Hold the shift key down to constrain the rotation to 15 degree intervals.