Firefox File Associations
If you experience problems opening Microsoft Office documents in Firefox, you may need to reset the file associations. The example below shows how to do this for Microsoft Excel, but the same process applies to the other Office applications.
First, reset all existing file associations for Microsoft Excel. They maybe pointing to an older version of the software.
- Start Firefox and select File, Preferences
- Click the Applications Tab
- Locate any items for Excel or Microsoft Excel
- For each of the entries, in the Action field, select Application Details
- Remove all entries from the Applications listing
- Exit Firefox
From here you can either go back into the File, Preferences, Applications and reset the entry by browsing for Microsoft Excel 2008 or you can open a spreadsheet and select Microsoft Excel and check Do this automatically for files like this from now on’