Our Most Popular Extension Content During the Pandemic
If you’ve been wondering which Extension topics folks have been most interested in during the pandemic (and subsequently where to focus your energy), look no further than the two lists below. Keep in mind that some of our content (like Tree Identification) remains popular throughout the entire year, almost every year.
The emerging pattern here is that people are spending more time at home, and in particular, outdoors. They’re looking for advice as it relates to their home lawn or garden. Food Safety posts and factsheets have also been particularly high in demand.
Top 10 Factsheets (March 16 – 31, 2020)
- Vegetable Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide
- Central North Carolina Planting Calendar for Annual Vegetables, Fruits, and Herbs
- Washing and Sanitizing Kitchen Items
- Carolina Lawns: A Guide to Maintaining Quality Turf in the Landscape
- Grafting and Budding Nursery Crop Plants
- Western North Carolina Planting Calendar for Annual Vegetables, Fruits, and Herbs
- Coccidiosis, the Most Common Cause of Diarrhea in Young Goats
- 15. Tree Fruit and Nuts
- Bermudagrass Lawn Maintenance Calendar
- Eastern North Carolina Planting Calendar for Annual Vegetables, Fruits, and Herbs
For the most part, our top factsheets during this two week stretch of 2020 weren’t terribly different than last year. Some other factsheets that are popular this time of year would include: Plant Propagation by Stem Cuttings; Are There Alternatives to Glyphosate for Weed Control in Landscapes?; Average Last Spring Frost Dates for Selected North Carolina Locations; Pruning and Training Thornless Blackberries.
Top 10 WordPress Posts (March 16 – 31, 2020)
- COVID-19 Food Safety Resources
- Weeds in Turf
- Local Farmers’ Markets Do Their Part to Flatten the Curve on Coronavirus
- When Is the Best Time to Use Weed and Feed Fertilizers?
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates and Information For Cherokee County
- Predicting the Start of the Pine Pollen Season
- COVID-19 and Food Safety FAQ
- COVID-19 FAQ for Community Gardens
- NC Tree Identification
- COVID-19: Farming Resources
There’s clearly a strong interest right now in COVID-19-related posts and resources. In 2019, this same two-week stretch in March featured top 10 posts like How to Get Rid of Wild Onion, NC Snakes (and I.D.), 4-H Youth and Development, Advantages of Crop Rotation, and topics related to Industrial Hemp.
Most Searched Terms (March 16 – 31, 2020)
- Soil Test or Soil Testing or Soil Sample
- 2020 Plant Sale